Thursday, December 2, 2010

Visit from Mom

Day 18, 12th Moon, Civil Year 3760

Today I hung out in the temple and talked to some of the awesome people there. It's a peaceful place, you know? Said a few words. Healed a couple of pilgrims. Typical day. And just as I was getting ready to find myself some latkes, there was Mom! I love my Mom. She's a saint. Seriously, a great lady. But she was upset, saying, "Yeshua, I've been looking everywhere for you!" Holy cow, Mom, how many times do I have to tell you: when in doubt, look for me in the Temple? I guess all kids have issues with their parents, though.

Like every mother, mine complains that I don't call her enough. I don't have to. She calls me! It's always the same questions, too. "Where are you? What have you eaten? Are you wearing a sweater?" Somebody should invent a way for me to tell her these things more easily.

Anyway, we had a great visit. Too bad Dad couldn't come, too, but Mom said something about a Backgammon tournament. He's a Backgammon fiend, I'm tellin' ya.

And now for something completely different. My Love 'n Peace message:
You came through your parents, but you don't belong to them. You can love them. You can honor them for carrying out their sacred duty to the best of their ability. But you aren't theirs. You are who you are, and who you came to be. You came through your parents, but the author of your soul is God. That is who you are. Be true to how God made you, because that is why you are here. Be you. Love yourself as God loves you, even if you feel strange or out of place or different. You are you for a reason. Honor that. God loves you, exactly the way you are right now. And so do I.

Allrighty, then! I promised Mom that I'd take her out for some lamb kabobs tonight, and I don't want to keep her waiting! It'll be a bit of a party, actually, which probably means they didn't buy enough wine. I must say, I think they rely on me a little too much in that department. But, oh well! It'll be fun.

Love and peace, dear ones!

Yeshua Ben-Joseph


Previous Comments:

Simon:  I am in marketing hell. Rabbi, it is really hard to convince everyone that you are more special than they are if you come across as a regular dude. Please stop talking about your family.

John:  Oh, I dunno, I think we can work with the mother angle. We just need a good narrative.

Matthew:  She's very pious. No question about that. And she makes killer matzo.

MaryM:  My only issue is that she thinks nobody is good enough for her son.

Yeshua:  Guys, what are you on about? We don't want to give people the idea that it's somehow unholy to have a family. Come on! That would take the joy right out of life. I love my family! And I love you! You're my family, too! We're all one family! The family of man! Well, and women, too, obviously. I was using "man" in the sense of "person." Please don't take me too literally.

Phar-i-C:  "Family of man" is such crap!!!

JudasI:  SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!

Monychangrrr:  FREE SERVICE to help you keep in touch with your Jewish mother! Totally FREE when you provide all of your personal information!

Peter:  But I don't have a sweater.

Monychangrrr:  GREAT DEALS on sweaters! www.schlump.com FREE SHIPPING!!!

Publius Severus:  Hear ye! In the name of our Emperor, Caesar Augustus, there will be from this day forth a NEW TAX levied upon those who wear garments made from wool or hair of animals, in the amount of 10 denarii for plain-colored garments and in the amount of 50 denarii if it should have stripes, polka dots, or any kind of depiction generally considered to be "cute," such as baby camels with bells on them.

Peter:  I miss my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment